Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Daycare Issue

One of the toughest decisions a mom will have to make is whether or not to go back to work or to stay home with her child(ren). I knew when we had our son that I would have to go back for financial reasons. I also really do enjoy my job as a teacher. I was not ready to give up teaching and my students. This is not to say I don't love my son. It is just the decision we made that was best for our family.

For the most part, we really do like our son's daycare. We do believe his teachers genuinely care for him. We have had a few issues at times, and there are a few things we wish were done differently. Today was one of those days though that really just makes me wonder what goes on there at times.

I picked my son up from daycare this afternoon and got his daily report sheet as well. This reports what his meals and snacks were, what activities were done, and what his diaper schedule was like for the day. As we were walking to the car, I started smelling poop. I figured he must have just gone and glanced at his sheet. It said he just went before I got there. I still figured he had gone more, and I would change him when I got home. When I got him out of the car at home, I could feel that his shorts were now wet. Assuming we had a really bad diaper, I rushed him right upstairs. I was shocked at what I found.

As I pulled off Ben's shorts I found a large pancake of BM stuck to his leg and the inside of his shorts. His diaper was completely dry and completely clean on the inside. How in the world did the contents of his last poopy diaper end up on the inside of his shorts and on his leg?!?!?!? I had to scrub hard to get some of it off of his leg. I thought I was going to be sick as I tried to clean his shorts. Ugh!

I am going to call his daycare tomorrow and discuss the issue. Yes, I know there are mistakes and no one is perfect, but this just seems crazy to me. Was the woman (not his usual teacher) that changed him completely not paying attention when she changed his diaper? I just don't get how this happened.

I will let you know how the conversation goes tomorrow.

-Denise

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It has happened before where I worked, and it's disgusting. Either he had a bad messy diaper and it was on there before they initially changed his diaper and they didn't notice (which, come on, how do you not notice?), or they were utterly lazy in changing him. You should ask to see the tape (they SHOULD have a monitoring system like that) of when his siaper was changed or make sure they (the director) looks at it at least. I'm sorry you are having issues like that, but I hope that your conversation went well.