Friday, September 26, 2008

Fall Cleaning

It is fall cleaning time. Yes, most people do spring cleaning, or so the saying goes, but I like to do fall cleaning in my kitchen. This is the time of year that I like to go through our pantry cabinets and rid the shelves of expired food items and pull out items to donate to a local food pantry. No, I would never donate expired food to a food pantry. If I don't want to eat, why should I expect someone else too. Yuck!

So, I cleaned out my pantry this past week. I ended up having to throw out a large garbage bag full of items that were way past their dates. Some said 2007! I am really am not sure how those missed my spring pantry cleaning, but they did. I hated throwing out all that food. I am going to make it an early resolution to make sure to take better stock of what we have in the pantry so fewer items go to waste. We have a lot more space now, and everything is much better organized.


The good thing is I do have two bags of items for a local food pantry. I pulled out items that we had several multiples of or we had tried and didn't really care for it enough to use another can or package of it again in the future. At least the food will get used by someone before I have to throw it out during my next pantry cleaning date.

-Denise

No comments: