Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Switching to CFL's

So I am really tempted to switch to CFL light bulbs for two reasons. I have heard great things about how much energy you can save. Money savings is an automatic plus. I have also heard that they are better for the environment. I really have been trying to do my part to be better with recycling and buying more environmentally friendly products. So I am good with that too.


CFL Bulb

http://www.flickr.com/photos/azadam/


I have two reasons I have not switched yet.

1) Is it really better for the environment if I throw away perfectly good regular bulbs that have not burned out yet? My husband also likes to stockpile light bulbs, so I have lots of spare ones as well.

2) My husband has a fear of the new light bulbs based on one article he read or a story he saw on the news that said there was a link between CFL bulbs and an increase in migraines. He gets bad ones already, so he really doesn't need an added trigger. So far I have one lamp that I put a CFL in to try it out. We have not noticed they trigger my husbands migraines, but the lamp is in a room we are not often in at night time.

Does anyone have any thoughts to share? Feedback?

-Denise

No comments: